Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dear birthday boy,





An entire year has passed since we first saw your face. We loved you from the moment we saw you, but struggled through all that comes with being new parents. There is no steeper learning curve than the one that comes with parenting, but as time went on, we did fall into a rhythm, and those bleak new born days faded quickly. Since then, time has passed at an unfair speed.

At a year you are still so inquisitive and pair that with mobility, you're down right dangerous. Rather than studying something from a far you are on the move, going as fast as those chubby thighs will take you, in the direction of whatever grabs your attention. You started taking steps at the eleven month mark, now walking just isn't enough, climbing is more your style. Once you realised you could climb the stairs ( at 9 months) you utilised that newly found info and attempted to climb anything and everything. If you can't hoist your little legs up there on your own, I've found you using your Fisher Price toolbox, couch cushion, or suit case to give you that extra inch or two to get to your desired location. You say mama, dada and all done. You have a bag of tricks we've taught you, and you rarely do them on command. You have a will of steel, and I've already started reading as many "child rearing" books as I can get my hands on.

You have lived in 3 (4 if count our 2 month stint in SD) houses, 2 states (or 3), and 2 countries. You've been on 5 flights (If I count each leg of the flight, which I totally do because the fact that each of us come out sane and alive is a total accomplishment,you've been on 18), whew, maybe you're a little more resilient and flexible than I give you credit for.

Even at 1, you are an independent little guy. You have zero desire (and usually refuse) to hold my hand while you walk around (even if refusing my hand means falling, you'll take the fall thankyouverymuch). You'll play independently for ages, especially if you're outside. You love your Radio flyer wagons, and are constantly stopping to pick up every rock in the area. You still love dogs and will light up every time we see one. You seem to find every puddle and pile of dirt and love getting messy.

Each day you shed a little more of your baby"ness" and become a little boy. While this saddens me in some ways, I can only look forward to the upcoming years with pure joy and anticipation because son, with you, each day is better than the last.

2 comments:

  1. Steph, I adored this update! So sweet, I love that he is ALL BOY :) Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and what a handsome boy. When, oh when, will we get our kids together? And who's going to pad the walls before we let that happen? I think they will make a mighty pair. So glad to have a glimpse into his personality :)

    ReplyDelete