It feel great to be back home, but there are a few things that I'm getting used to, I guess you could call it "culture shock."
- The weather: in most parts of the world, it's summer, but not here in good ol South Dakota. Today the high is 46, yup 46 degrees Fahrenheit. It's the equivalent of an Okinawan winter...it's awful. My blood has thinned significantly and I'm FREEZING.
- My ID: no longer frantically looking for my ID prior to entering any store has taken some getting used to, but I've finally quit offering the Wal-MArt greeter proof of who I am.
- Fruit: the selection quality and price has prompted me to eat dangerously large amounts of fruit, it's awesome!
- speed limit: let's just say I'm in the slow lane a majority of the time. While driving I happened to notice I'm not surrounded by my "usual" driving company. I looked in front of me the other day and noticed an elderly lady driving ( and I wasn't even tailgating her), and then looked in my rear view mirror and saw a brand new driver with is hands at 10 and 2 (that's right isn't it?). And let's not even get into merging at these top speeds, let just say you don't want to be the person behind me.
- And while we're on the topic of driving, my car (well truck actually) looks like something that should be driving over cars at an arena while men in muscle T-shirts and hats are cheering it on, rather than something that is driving through a city. I've driven it a total of two times because a) I can't back it out of the garage, my dad has to B) I can't park the thing to save my life. (the truck isn't that big, it's a Toyota tundra, but compared to what I was driving in Oki, it's ginormous!)
- the glorious wonderful help: my family has been such a huge help! Ambrose begins to cry in the morning (promptly at 6:50 which soooo beats the 5:30 wake up call I used to get) and before I can even put my glasses on my face one of my wonderful family members is there to take him, feed him and change him. I can wake up on my own, grab a cup of coffee and just sit for a second...it's fantastic. It so make me wish we lived closer to home!
Needless to say, I feel like after having done that I can do anything!
Hey Steph, don't worry about parking the truck...after 4 years I STILL couldn't park that thing to save my life :) Thank goodness for big parking lots!
ReplyDeleteHey Steph I am so glad that you are back in the USA and all is going better :) When you get the chance I would love to chat so send me your number when you get a free moment. We just got back from a Colorado vacation and it is 9:00am and Bryce is still asleep! I think he wore himself out yesterday exploring every area of the house!
ReplyDelete