Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bound to happen

I knew it was bound to happen some day, but ugh, the in public temper tantrum was painful.

After being trapped inside today due to the torrential down poor, we had to get out of the house, so off we went to Piggly Wiggly (the small town grocery store for all you big city folk). We arrive, and I make the rookie parenting mistake of letting Ambrose stand next to me rather than sitting in the cart, which, what was I thinking, he's 1 NOT 5.. while selecting some bananas. At the sight of the banana's Ambrose begins to say Na Na, NA NA, NAAA NAAA and reaching for them like he's not eaten in ages. I calmly tell him that he can have it when we're finished shopping and hope that he'll just accept it and we can move on...again, what was I thinking he's 1 not 5. Well, there was ZERO accepting and he promptly threw himself on the floor 2year old style and began to scream and cry. All eyes dart to me and I grab him and try to shove his body into the seat of the cart. He's having none of it, arches his back and dives towards the floor. I hold him as tight as I can, and engage in my very own public game of Super Market Sweep. Sprinting through the store trying to find something, anything that will make the crying stop.
I finally, after running through the canned goods isle twice, find the snack isle and rip open a bag of Teddy grahms. Ambrose jams his hand down in the box, returns with 8 bears and shoves all 8 into his mouth. You'd think that would stop the crying, but oh no, he still screams, which due to the 8 crackers, bits of chewed crackers are sputtering out of his mouth. As you can imagine, crying and a mouth full of crackers doesn't mix well and he begins to gag and choke. He starts to spit the partially chewed slobbery crackers into my hand and then dry heaves the last remaining bits. Pleasant, I know. At this point, I see a lady start coming down the aisle in my direction, and wouldn't you know it, she turns right back around. After the Teddy Grahms fail and my little one is still arching and screaming I desperately look for the baby food aisle, there are these expensive little yogurt bites that he loves and I regularly use as a bribery tool, I thought for sure these would do the trick. I find them, he recognizes the bag and I think I'm in the clear. Oh, if my son were only that predictable and easy, but no. He takes and eats the yogurt bites, but somehow continues to scream. I decide to abandon ship and get to the nearest checkout line. In true Stephanie style I of course pick the slowest lane. The lady in front of my is arguing with the checkout lady because her Fuze drink was rung up at 1.79 and she feels the actual cost was 99. It was all I could do not throw 80 cents at the woman and ask her to get out of the line. I don't, and subject her to the screaming that is my son.
The second the banana's are paid for I peel one and he is silent.
At least he like healthy foods.
My second stop of the day was appropriately the liquor store :)

2 comments:

  1. oh wow, you should get paid for blogging! that was, by far, my heartiest laugh of the week! you could be a PRO on supermarket sweep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing SO hard. you seriously need to publish this stuff.

    ReplyDelete