Friday, January 31, 2014

state of the union



1) We didn't watch The State if the Union address last night. partly because we still use an antennae to receive our TV channels, and if the wind blows weird, a cloud shows up or the kids walk even remotely near it, the channels don't work (and right now, for some reason, the audio is out on the HD channels, so, if the stars align and we actually receive the channel, the audio is out...) so there was that... and partly because, well....we didn't really want to. I did however get a play by play from my friends and their comments on Facebook.

2) We are trying to sell our house, in a market that has 531 homes for sale. Not.ideal. folks. Not ideal at all. With that has come cleaning nooks and crannies of the house that have been...slightly neglected shall we say. vacuum behind the couch, lets see, we moved in 4 years ago...(squints and does math)carry the one....that means....yup, it's been a long time. Needless to say, living in a home with 2 boys that has to be show ready with 15 minutes notice is dicey.

3) I haven't complained about Bram's sleep in a while, but don't let that fool you, he still has his fair share of sleep issues. As of yesterday, we've kind of thrown our hands in the air and just decided to survive. I've done everything by the book. We don't rock, bounce, walk or feed our kids to sleep, as a matter of fact, we don't do any of the other "bad habit's" books refer to. We set a schedule and we live and die by it. We "protect" our kids sleep like nobody's business,  and we teach them to fall asleep independently from an early age, and yet.... So, since doing all the things "right" has failed us, we are going to do what works. I don't know what that is yet, but right now, what it looks like is me sitting at his door as he falls asleep. I am THAT parent, the one I said I'd never be. The parent I was then though, honestly never faced the likes of a black belt sleep fighting little boy. So, I hope that me sitting outside his door doesn't last forever, but for now, it's what we're doing. I tell you what, when we reach the "my kid reliably falls asleep without hours of shenanigans and crying and then sleeps through the night" finish line, it will most definitely NOT be a rocky-esque event with hands held high victoriously. Nope, we will be dragging our tired haggard selves across the finish line, thankful we all survived.

4) I can't remember if I've mentioned it on here before, but we are getting ready for our next move, which is to the sunny beaches of FL. We've been there for a few of John's trainings, and we look forward to living out there for a few years! Remember that resolution to make this "our most organized move yet." Well, I've started preparing now, to at least have a shot at making that happen in a few months. The plan goes something like this: Get rid of it. Quite literally, we are donating/throwing/handing down/selling things like people planning to live off the grid. It feels great!

5) In FL news, they had a snow day yesterday. Schools shut down, the base shut down and from what I can tell the city (based on the businesses that I'm trying to get in contact with) all but shut down. According to my phone, the high out there yesterday was 52...I ugh....am...confused...

6) Ambrose has become incredibly attached to a hand knitted bear from my grandma. He is affectionately called Tubby bear around here, and peace ceases to exist if Tubby is lost, specifically, at night. We are on the hunt for something that puts of a slight glow (ie: those glow in the dark stars that many teen girls in the 90's adhered to their ceilings), but doesn't need replaced every other day (think glow in the dark bracelet) but also lasts all night (which is the problem with the stars, they loose their glow within an hour or two of being in the dark). Any ideas? Thank you grandma for lovingly knitting Ambrose that bear. He is loved beyond belief in this house.

7) Yesterday, I sent Bram outside while I briefly wiped down the table from lunch. I go outside to get him for nap time, and he looks like this. I....how in the.....gah! This kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment